Saturday, 22 August 2026 PDT | 06:27 AM
The 1 News Alt Logo Text Smart News for Global Indians

Iran war live: Tehran president says it is time to end war ‘in position of strength’

World August 22, 2026 07:04 AM
Iran war live: Tehran president says it is time to end war ‘in position of strength’

Iran’s president Masoud Pezeshkian has said that it is now time to end the war between Tehran and the US on Friday.

"It is better that we bring the war to an end now as we are in a position of power and dignity," Pezeshkian said in a meeting with doctors in the country.

"The whole world acknowledges our victory and emphasises that America has attacked our schools, hospitals and infrastructure in violation of all regulations and is hated around the world."

It comes after Tehran accused US president Donald Trump of threatening "economic terrorism" after the US treasury said it would introduce the “toughest sanctions in history" against Tehran.

Trump has promised to wage "Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale”, suggesting the US will extend sanctions to allies that have helped mediate peace ‌talks.

Meanwhile, over 750 members of the US military have been injured since the Iran war began, US officials said. More than 50 soldiers were added to the Pentagon’s casualty database on Wednesday, bringing the total figures to 757 injured and 18 killed.

Watch: Trump cannot let Iran make him ‘look like a loser,’ says former Fox News personality

Trump officials worked with Iran on deportation lists as tensions exploded, emails reveal

Newly disclosed emails show US immigration officials worked directly with Iranian representatives to deport Iranian nationals in 2025, even as tensions between Washington and Tehran were escalating.

The records, obtained by the National Iranian American Council and released Tuesday, detail cooperation surrounding three removal flights in September and December 2025 and January 2026 that returned more than 100 Iranians.

The emails indicate Iranian representatives requested changes to proposed passenger lists and that US officials sometimes accommodated those requests.

You can read the full report below:

Editorial: The world could face the biggest credit crunch in history – thanks to Donald Trump

As US debt reaches the barely imaginable milestone of $40 trillion, America’s ability to meet its financial obligations – coupled with the reality that the global economy depends on decisions made in Washington – should concentrate White House minds on ending its consequential war with Iran.

US military presence in Middle East could be cut back after Iran war ends: report

The Pentagon is considering reducing US military presence in the Middle East following the conclusion of the Iran war, according to a report.

Troops could be withdrawn from the Persian Gulf, officials told The Washington Post, following months of attacks by Iranian forces that have targeted US bases across the region since the war began in late February.

The Pentagon’s policy office is evaluating US regional presence, with US Central Command (Centcom) and Joint Staff also looking at the situation, a senior Pentagon official told the outlet.

While no formal review has been ordered by US defence secretary Pete Hegseth, “decisions are going to have to be made on some of this stuff,” the official told The Post.

Three admit arson attack at Persian media company’s UK base

Two men and a teenage boy have admitted taking part in an arson attack on the UK office of a Persian media company.

On April 15, the offices of Volant Media, the parent company of Persian news channel Iran International, were allegedly targeted.

Police had been alerted after an “ignited container” was thrown towards the site in Wembley, north-west London, landing in a car park where the fire immediately went out.

There were no injuries and the suspects left the area in a black four-wheel-drive vehicle, police had said.

Nathan Dunn, 19, pleaded guilty to a charge of arson being “reckless as to whether life is endangered” on April 15.

During an Old Bailey hearing on Friday, a 17-year-old boy denied that charge but admitted the lesser alternative offence of arson.

The prosecution indicated his plea was not accepted and he faces a trial on February 1 next year.

Strait of Hormuz tracker: The maps and charts that debunk Trump’s claim the route has reopened

Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has plunged to single digits as US-Iran peace talks have ground to a complete halt.

Only seven commodity vessels passed through the waterway on Thursday, some of the lowest numbers seen in weeks, according to Kpler data. Four ships entered the Gulf while only three exited.

This number was down from 14 on Wednesday. No supertankers or liquefied natural gas carriers were recorded passing through the vital chokepoint through which one fifth of the world’s energy passes.

Between 130 to 140 vessels transited the passage every day, before US-Israeli strikes sparked the war with Iran on 28 February.

Watch: Netanyahu puts NYC mayor Mamdani alongside Iran’s Ayatollah on enemies list

The forgotten Iranians caught in the deadly stalemate of Trump’s war

Struggling to find food, work or any semblance of normality – as well as living with the daily risk of bombing under a shaky ceasefire – the people of southern Iran tell Amirhossein Miresmaeili how they feel entirely on their own.

Iran, Oman discuss resuming talks, Strait of Hormuz navigation

The Omani and ⁠Iranian foreign ministers discussed in ⁠a ​phone ⁠call ways ⁠to ​create ⁠suitable conditions ‌for resuming dialogue and ‌negotiations, and ‌developments ⁠affecting navigation in the Strait of Hormuz, Oman's state ‌news ​agency said ‌on ⁠Friday.

NATO members discuss Strait of Hormuz options without alliance involvement

NATO's top commander convened ​a videoconference earlier this week to facilitate possible contributions to support freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz, his spokesperson ⁠told Reuters, adding that this is not a NATO mission.

“Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe hosted a meeting of interested Allies at the chief of ⁠defence level on ​Wednesday, 19 Aug ⁠26, in order to facilitate their possible contributions to support freedom of ⁠navigation in the Strait of Hormuz," a spokesperson ​for ⁠the alliance's top ‌commander US Air Force General Alexus Grynkewich said on Friday.

"To be clear, this is not ‌a NATO mission. But given ‌NATO’s unique strengths in its ability to bring together Allies and understand the capabilities they bring to ⁠bear, it makes sense for NATO to facilitate in this way," the spokesperson added.

NATO allies have sought to avoid direct involvement in the Iran conflict, instead focusing on plans outside the alliance to reopen the strait, which before ‌February carried about a fifth of all ​traded oil.

France and Britain have ‌led efforts to build ⁠a coalition among roughly a dozen countries ⁠to guarantee safe passage through the strait once tensions ‌ease or ​the conflict is resolved, though ‌any long-term arrangement would ​ultimately require Iranian acquiescence.