Hundreds in B.C. under evacuation order as wildfire activity heats up, officials say
Hundreds in B.C. under evacuation order as wildfire activity heats up, officials say
Forests minister slams Trump’s ‘harmful and misguided’ rhetoric on Canadian wildfires
Wildfire activity in B.C. has increased significantly in recent days, with 600 properties under evacuation order and thousands more on alert, officials said in a briefing Tuesday.
Forests Minister Ravi Parmar opened his comments by sharply criticizing U.S. President Donald Trump, for accusing Canada of poisoning American air with wildfire smoke.
“Climate change is impacting wildfires on both sides of the border, creating real challenges that require real action, not finger pointing. For Canadian provinces and U.S. states alike, this is a new reality,” Parmar said.
“But last year we stepped up to help our neighbours in California and we stand ready to do it again if the call comes.”
Province supporting 430 evacuees
The B.C. Wildfire Service says close to 34,000 lightning strikes were recorded during the final half of last week and have heightened fire activity across the province. As of Tuesday afternoon, there were 85 fires burning, 79 per cent of them believed to have been ignited by lightning.
This has resulted in 600 properties being placed under evacuation order, mostly in the Fraser Canyon, and 5,700 more being put on alert, the majority in the Kimberly area, according to Emergency Management and Climate Readiness Minister Kelly Greene.
She said the province is supporting 430 evacuees, and encouraged anyone at risk of having to leave their homes to pre-register for emergency support services.
Recent changes mean people are able to register online and receive support by e-transfer, Greene said.
This includes a $200 per night accommodation allowance that those forced to evacuate can use wherever they go, whether that’s a family member's house, a hotel or a campground, she added.
Two new evacuation orders were issued Monday for the Downing Park area southwest of Clinton due to the Pear Lake wildfire.
The orders cover the Downing Provincial Park campground and day use area, as well as 11 properties on Pear Lake and Pavilion-Clinton roads.
Evacuation orders mean anyone in the area must leave immediately.
The B.C. Wildfire Service used a drone over the weekend to ignite a controlled burn to contain the wildfires that have caused the most evacuations, known as the Brunswick Complex near Boston Bar.
This reduced the risk of the fires spreading south, Parmar said.
“This is an exciting new step in wildfire suppression here in B.C. These ignitions are often done by hand or by helicopter and are a key part in managing wildfires and very challenging terrain," he said.
Officials warn of drought, extreme heat
Officials also warned Tuesday that heat and drought conditions, made worse by climate change, continue to be an issue in B.C.
Most scientists believe climate change is exacerbated by burning fossil fuels.
Water, Land and Resource Stewardship Minister Randene Neill said record-low water levels associated with drought conditions in the Okanagan are threatening chinook salmon, particularly in Bessette Creek and Salmon River.
“Declining stream flows and rising water temperatures place additional stress on fish and aquatic ecosystems. And today I'm asking everyone, in the Okanagan particularly, to help conserve water,” she said.
Greene noted that heat warnings are affecting much of the province and encouraged British Columbians to check in on those most vulnerable, including seniors and people with underlying health conditions, especially if they live alone.
Tara Carman is a senior reporter with CBC British Columbia. She has been a journalist in Vancouver since 2007 and previously worked in Victoria, Geneva and Ottawa. You can reach her at tara.carman@cbc.ca
With files from The Canadian Press
Related Stories
Canada
Carney outlines the last
1 minute ago
Canada
'Quite the system': Rare thunderstorm wows southern B.C., causing havoc at Vancouver airport
1 minute ago
Canada
Conservatives urge feds to release details of U.S. deal Canada walked away from
1 minute ago
Canada
The lesson from Canada’s collapsed trade talks with the US: negotiation may be futile
1 minute ago
Canada
U.S. trade war will be ‘devastating’ for Canada: Trump admin
1 minute ago
Canada
Norway to give over $9 billion to Ukraine in 2027
1 hour ago
Canada
‘Canada wants the benefits of being a state, without being one’: Trump’s response to Canada’s no deal
1 hour ago
Canada
‘Benefits of being a state’: Trump escalates tariff war with Canada
1 hour ago