Live Updates: Trump says U.S. to hit Iran "very hard," threatens to take Kharg Island as war reignites
What to know about the Iran war today:
U.N. chief calls for "comprehensive ceasefire" in Lebanon, disarming of Hezbollah
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called Thursday for a "comprehensive ceasefire" in Lebanon and for the Lebanese government to have a "monopoly on weapons" in the country, implicitly supporting the disarmament of the Iranian-backed Hezbollah group.
"Since March, we have witnessed a serious escalation," Guterres wrote in a post on X, "as Israel intensified its operations in Lebanese territory & Hizbullah fired deeper into Israel."
"The process must start with a comprehensive ceasefire respected by all parties everywhere," he said, adding: "I fully support a monopoly on weapons by the Lebanese Government."
Lebanon has long sought to disarm Hezbollah, which is one of Iran's most powerful proxies in the region.
The war between Israel and Hezbollah has raged since March 2, with both sides accusing each other daily of violating a U.S.-brokered ceasefire signed between the Israeli and Lebanese governments in April.
Lebanon's health ministry said Thursday that at least 3,711 people have been killed in the country by Israel's military actions since the war began, with another 11,483 wounded. Lebanese authorities say more than 1 million people have been displaced from their homes by Israel's aerial assault and ground offensive.
At least four civilians and 31 Israeli soldiers have been killed by Hezbollah attacks on Israel and against forces in southern Lebanon, according to the independent Institute for National Security Studies in Israel.
World Bank lowers global growth forecast on Iran war impacts
The World Bank on Thursday dropped its global growth forecast to its lowest level since the COVID-19 pandemic, warning of expanding economic impacts of the war in the Middle East on countries around the globe.
Worldwide growth is now forecast to drop to 2.5% in 2026, from 2.9% a year earlier, with headline inflation averaging 4%, the multilateral lender said in its Global Economic Prospects report.
The U.S.-Israeli war on Iran has sent energy prices skyrocketing, causing steeper inflation with the potential for increased borrowing costs as central banks seek to tame the rampant price increases.
The World Bank said it was making up to $60 billion immediately available to developing countries, which have been hardest hit by the crisis. It said that number could increase to $100 billion over 15 months.
Growth forecasts for two-thirds of the world's economies have been downgraded in the new report relative to January of this year.
"(The) first thing is to end the conflict in Ukraine, in the Gulf, and in Central Africa, and not start any new wars," said Indermit Gill, chief economist at the World Bank. "War anywhere is bad for poor people everywhere."
Iran is not involved in new talks with the U.S, semi-official Iranian news agency claims
Iran is not involved in new talks with the United States, a source close to the country's negotiating team was quoted as saying Thursday by the semi-official Fars News agency.
The report was dismissive of ongoing efforts by Qatari and Pakistani officials to mediate a deal between the U.S. and Iran.
Fars quoted its anonymous source as saying Iran had stuck to its positions throughout indirect negotiations, and it noted that a draft memorandum of understanding tabled by Tehran had not gained U.S. approval.
Referring to recent U.S. military threats, the source told Fars: "The primary reason for the increased pressure is Iran's steadfastness in defending its positions at the negotiating table."
President Trump repeated his assertion earlier this week that Iran and the U.S. were close to a deal, but the last few days have seen major hostilities resume. On Thursday, Mr. Trump said the U.S. would hit Iran "very hard" within hours, vowing "bigger" strikes and threatening to seize key Iranian oil infrastructure.
U.S. Treasury chief says Gulf countries will be compensated for damages with funds "from Iranian Accounts"
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Thursday that Iran would be made to pay for any damage it does to U.S. allies in the Gulf.
"Any damage it [Iran] inflicts on our allies in the Gulf will be paid for with funds extracted from Iranian Accounts," Bessent said on X, without offering any further details.
A source familiar with Bessent's thinking told CBS News on Saturday that the Treasury was seeking estimates from Gulf allies of the costs associated with repairing the damage caused by Iran's ongoing attacks.
Bessent said Thursday that "any tolls paid to the Persian Gulf Strait Authority" – the newly-created Iranian agency Tehran insists is in charge of overseeing commercial traffic through the Strait of Hormuz – "will be offset by funds extracted from their accounts."
"Every attack Iran launches will only deepen the economic and financial consequences it faces," Bessent said.
The U.S. has sanctioned multiple Iranian entities and individuals since the current regime came to power with 1979's Islamic Revolution.
As part of those measures, the U.S. and its partners have seized billions of dollars in Iranian assets in bank accounts around the world. Bessent may have been referring to those frozen accounts in his post on X Thursday.
A key Iranian demand in its negotiations with the U.S. has been the lifting of sanctions and the release of its frozen financial assets.
Kuwait says 24 drones intercepted, but "Iranian aggression" caused limited damage and no casualties
Kuwait's military said Thursday that it had "dealt with" 24 Iranian attack drones within the country's airspace over the last two days.
Ministry of Defense spokesperson Major General Saud Abdulaziz Al-Otaibi said "the Iranian aggression resulted in limited material damage without any human casualties."
Iran has stepped up its targeting of U.S. Persian Gulf allies this week as the two sides resume reciprocal attacks. The renewed fighting was sparked by an Iranian drone bringing down a U.S. Army helicopter near the Strait of Hormuz early this week.
Kremlin calls on U.S., Iran to "return to negotiating table"
The Kremlin called on the United States and Iran Thursday to restart peace talks and said the new strikes in the war would be bad for the world economy.
"We call on all parties in this conflict to exercise restraint and return to the negotiating table," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, when asked by AFP about fresh attacks. He added that the escalation risks more "negative consequences for the situation in the region and the global economy."
Trump warns of "bigger" strikes, but says Americans may not have "the appetite" for operation to take Kharg Island
President Trump said the U.S. would hit Iran with "bigger" strikes Thursday, but said he didn't know if "America has the appetite" for an operation to take Iran's strategic Kharg Island.
"There will be more bombing tonight. It will be bigger – bigger, more powerful," he said on the "Fox & Friends" program, adding that Iran is "dying to make a deal."
Mr. Trump said his preference "has always been" to take Iran's oil export hub of Kharg Island, in the northern Persian Gulf, but he added: "I don't know that America has the appetite to do what I would really much prefer doing."
The president, who appeared to surprise Fox News with his phone call shortly after he posted about forthcoming U.S. strikes on Truth Social, said the U.S. dropped $250 million worth of bombs on Wednesday alone.
He said he would rather not deploy ground forces, but added: "If I wanted to, we could put a small group of soldiers and take over the whole place."
"I'm not frustrated," he said when asked if he found the situation with Iran frustrating. "I don't get frustrated."
Mr. Trump said he would "rather not" hit civilian infrastructure such as power plants, as he has threatened previously, "because once you do that, the people suffer."
Iran claimed early Thursday that U.S. strikes this week had hit a water storage facility, leaving 20,000 civilians without fresh water.
Iran's President Masoud Pezeshkian said Mr. Trump's previous threats to hit civilian infrastructure showed "not a strength but a sign of desperation in the face of a nation's will."
Iran says U.S. strikes render ceasefire "practically meaningless"
Iran's foreign ministry condemned on Thursday the latest U.S. strikes on the country, saying the attacks rendered the nearly two-month ceasefire "practically meaningless."
In a statement, the ministry said "the illegal and criminal attacks perpetrated by the United States in recent hours not only constitute a flagrant violation ... but also render the ceasefire practically meaningless."
It added that the "responsibility for the extremely serious consequences of this criminal act lies with the leaders of the United States."
Trump says U.S. "will be taking" Iran's Kharg Island, "other oil infrastructure points"
President Trump said early Thursday that U.S. forces "will be taking" a key Iranian island in the northern Persian Gulf and other oil infrastructure "in the not too distant future."
He made the remark in a Truth Social post after another exchange of strikes overnight, with U.S. forces hitting Iranian infrastructure — including a water storage facility, according to Iranian officials — in new attacks overnight. Iran responded by launching missiles and drones at several Persian Gulf states where there are U.S. forces based.
"The United States will be hitting Iran (Whose Navy, Air Force, Radar, Anti Aircraft, and all other forms of Defense, together with most of its offensive capability, are GONE!), VERY HARD TONIGHT," Mr. Trump said in his Thursday post. "At some point in the not too distant future, we will be taking Kharg Island, and other oil infrastructure points, and assume total control of their Oil and Gas Markets, much like we have with Venezuela, which is working out brilliantly for both Venezuela and the United States of America."
U.S. forces strike third oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman in a week
U.S. forces hit an oil tanker Wednesday in the Gulf of Oman for "attempting to transport Iranian oil," according to Central Command, the third commercial vessel targeted this week.
CENTCOM said in a statement on X that it struck the Guinea-Bissau flagged M/T Jalveer's engine room with two Hellfire missiles "after the crew repeatedly failed to comply with directions from U.S. forces."
U.S. forces also struck the Palau-flagged oil tankers M/T Marivex and M/T Settebello on Monday and Tuesday, respectively. The Marivex was attempting to sail to an Iranian port and the Settebello was trying to transport Iranian oil, CENTCOM said.
An Indian official said Thursday on X that three nationals working on the Settebello were killed in the strikes. A senior U.S. diplomat in the country was summoned to hear India's "strong protest."
The U.S. has enforced a blockade of Iranian ports since shortly after a fragile ceasefire was agreed between the two countries in early April. Tuesday's strike on the Settebello appears to be the first time since the war began that a U.S. strike has killed commercial mariners.
Qatari negotiating team returns from meetings in Tehran, Qatari official tells CBS News
A Qatari negotiating team returned from meetings in Tehran Thursday morning, a Qatari official told CBS News. The source said the team returned to Doha after meetings that went into the early hours in the Iranian capital.
Diplomatic efforts, by Qatar and Pakistan, are continuing despite the U.S. striking Iran Wednesday and Tehran retaliating with strikes on Kuwait, Bahrain and an area hosting an American base in Jordan.
The U.S. had previously held off on strikes while foreign diplomats were in Iran working to broker an agreement.
Qatar condemned the latest Iranian missile attacks Thursday on Bahrain, Kuwait, and Jordan, in a statement on X.
Pakistan's foreign ministry said earlier Thursday that the country's leaders remained engaged in mediation efforts to broker a "negotiated settlement" between Iran and the U.S.
"It is hard to be an optimist in the new exchange of hostilities," acknowledged foreign ministry spokesman Tahir Andrabi. But he added: "We haven't lost hope, we remain engaged."
U.S. reportedly strikes cargo vessel in the Gulf of Oman
An Iranian cargo vessel was struck by U.S. forces in the Gulf of Oman early on Thursday, the governor of Iran's Sirik county was quoted as saying by the semi-official Iranian news agency Mehr.
The 150-ton cargo dhow, a type of boat traditionally made of wood, was carrying essential goods when it was struck five nautical miles off the port of Khasab, the report claimed.
Mehr reported, citing the governor, that five crew members on board were rescued by nearby vessels and brought ashore in Oman.
Twenty Iranian missiles intercepted, Jordanian military says
The Jordanian military said it had intercepted 20 Iranian missiles launched Thursday toward Azraq, where an American military base is located.
In a statement, the Jordanian Armed Forces said aircraft had intercepted and shot down the missiles but no injuries or damage had been reported as a result of falling debris.
Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps said earlier in the day it had targeted the "Al-Azraq Air Base and its control center, using 12 ballistic missiles," as quoted by the semi-official Tasnim news agency.
The attacks come after U.S. Central Command announced it had carried out more strikes against Iranian targets in the early hours of Thursday.
Young girl reportedly injured in Bahrain after Iranian drone interception
An 11-year-old girl sustained minor injuries after an Iranian drone was intercepted over Bahrain on Thursday, according to the country's Ministry of Interior.
In a social media post, the Ministry of Interior said falling debris from an Iranian drone intercepted over Bahrain had also caused damage to houses and set fire to cars in Hamad Town and Manama.
Earlier in the day, Bahrain reported incoming attacks from Iran as Tehran retaliated against U.S. strikes in the early hours of Thursday. Iran has previously targeted American bases in the country.
3 Indian mariners killed by U.S. strike on oil tanker, Indian official says
An Indian official said Thursday three Indian mariners were killed on board a tanker targeted by the U.S. military over allegedly violating America's blockade on Iran.
In a social media statement India's Minister of Ports, Shipping & Waterways Sarbananda Sonowal announced the three mariners' deaths in the attack on the Palau-flagged tanker Settebello.
"Sadly, three Indian seafarers initially reported missing are now confirmed dead after two bodies were recovered," he wrote. It wasn't clear where the third body was. "This is a profound loss to our maritime family," Sonowal said.
The U.S. military's Central Command had accused the Settebello of having "violated the ongoing blockade by attempting to transport oil from Iran."
It fired into the ship's engine room to stop it.
Iran's Revolutionary Guard says it fired missiles at U.S. command center in Jordan
Iran's powerful Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said Thursday it had fired ballistic missiles at a U.S. command center in Jordan, according to state media.
This "punitive operation against the aggressor" targeted "Al-Azraq Air Base and its control center, using 12 ballistic missiles," the Guards said, as quoted by the Tasnim news agency, and claimed to have destroyed these facilities "and a large number of fighter aircraft."
Jordan didn't acknowledge the attack, though the U.S. Embassy in Amman issued a warning about it.
Iranian missiles targeted several Gulf countries overnight, with interceptions also reported in Kuwait and Bahrain.
Kuwait, Bahrain report incoming strikes
Both Kuwait and Bahrain reported incoming strikes early Thursday morning local time.
The Kuwaiti army said on X that its "air defense systems" were "intercepting hostile aerial targets."
Bahrain's interior ministry posted on social media that it had activated its emergency air raid siren.
This comes after the U.S. military hours earlier launched a second round of what U.S. Central Command described as "self-defense" strikes on targets inside Iran.
CENTCOM denies Iran's claim the Strait of Hormuz is closed
U.S. Central Command on Wednesday night denied Iran's claim that the Strait of Hormuz was closed following a new wave of strikes on the country.
"Commercial ships are continuing to transit in and out of the Strait of Hormuz tonight," CENTCOM said on social media.
Traffic through the strait, a key waterway for transporting oil, has slowed significantly since the start of the war. Earlier Wednesday, President Trump said efforts to help guide ships through the Strait of Hormuz have resulted in 100 million barrels of oil being moved through the channel as part of a "secret mission."
Iran's military says Strait of Hormuz closed to all traffic
Iran's military said Wednesday night that, following renewed strikes by the U.S., the Strait of Hormuz is closed to all traffic, "including oil tankers and commercial ships. Any such traffic will be targeted."
U.S. forces strike Iran again Wednesday night, CENTCOM says
U.S. forces began striking Iran at 5:15 p.m. ET, in what U.S. Central Command called "self-defense strikes."
The strikes are "in response to Iran's unwarranted and continued aggression," CENTCOM said, and are targeted at key Iranian facilities such as ammunition depots, command and control nodes and warehouses, according to two U.S. officials familiar with the airstrikes.
The strikes came hours after President Trump told reporters, "We're going to hit them hard again today in case you miss it, in case you don't turn on your television set. And we'll see what happens with a deal. We were — we were really close to a deal, but they keep tapping us along."
Related Stories
World
The archer who shoots a target he cannot see
26 minutes ago
World
Zolani Tete: Former world champion boxer shot dead outside home in South Africa
1 hour ago
World
Australian Darts Masters: James Wade claims first
1 hour ago
World
LAMP high school misses spot on U.S. News & World Report rankings list
1 hour ago
World
Egypt speaks with Iran after Tehran claims victory, and other Middle East developments
1 hour ago
World
New York Yankees' World Series Hopes May Have Just Collapsed
2 hours ago
World
Prince George emergency landing caused by plane’s engine losing power
2 hours ago
World
Seventeen-year
2 hours ago