Thousands evacuated as Indonesia quake death toll rises to 53
Thousands evacuated as Indonesia quake death toll rises to 53
Saturday's 7.7 magnitude quake is country's deadliest since 2022 quake killed hundreds in West Java
Search operations continue in Indonesia after 7.7 magnitude earthquake
Around 5,000 people have been evacuated after a magnitude-7.7 earthquake smashed an area in eastern Indonesia, killing at least 53, blocking roads and causing landslides, authorities said on Sunday.
They said more than 130 people had been injured, many with broken bones.
Saturday's quake was the Southeast Asian nation's deadliest since a 2022 quake killed hundreds in West Java.
More than 3,300 people in the Sikka region self-evacuated or were in a sports arena, according to the disaster mitigation agency BNPB.
Some Sikka residents were stranded outside collapsed homes under a makeshift tent made out of tarp, while some people received treatment in a tent outside a hospital in the port town of Maumere.
"I only brought my body," Abdul Mutas, 63, said after he and his family slept on a tarp surrounded by trees in the town of Sikka. "The tides were rising, so we ran," he said, describing their reaction to the quake.
"Almost all of Sikka's residents didn't dare stay indoors, so they slept on a porch or a tent outside," Simon Subandi, deputy regent of Sikka, told news channel KompasTV.
More than 3,500 military and police officers have been deployed to the region, Cabinet Secretary Teddy Indra Wijaya said in a statement.
At a now-closed port in Maumere, littered with debris from a collapsed roof and walls, residents said they were scared of aftershocks.
The disaster agency said on Sunday nearly 1,000 aftershocks had been recorded since the quake.
Nearby, hundreds of residents filled a sports stadium, which has been designated as an evacuation spot.
As the sun was setting, residents stood in line to get warm drinks. Some mothers hooked pieces of clothing to tent frames to form makeshift cradles for their babies. Other children played soccer outside.
Margaretha Movaldes Da Maga Bapa, head of the region's disaster mitigation agency, said the quake had brought back memories of the one residents experienced in 1992.
"We've had quakes often. But this one really brings back the trauma of the one from 1992," she said, as aid such as food and tents filled her office in trucks.
Suryaman, a rescue agency official, said the priority was clearing rubble in the most-affected areas of Manggarai, East Manggarai and Nagekeo to find people possibly still trapped under rubble.
Suryaman said the agency had not received missing person reports but added that landslides and aftershocks were impeding the search.
Power supply was nearly fully restored, but authorities were still working on fixing distribution lines, state utility firm Perusahaan Listrik Negara said Sunday.
The East Nusa Tenggara government has declared an emergency for the province, BNPB said, a move that allows authorities to mobilize resources and funding.
Geology expert Dwikorita Karnawati said the region was at risk of earthquakes due to the "Flores back-arc thrust fault," a major system of west-east thrust faults.
The area of the quake was hit in 1992 by a magnitude-7.5 earthquake that caused extensive destruction, Indonesia's geophysics agency said.
Indonesia, a sprawling archipelago of 290 million people, straddles the "Pacific Ring of Fire," a seismically active zone where tectonic plates meet, triggering frequent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.
With files from The Associated Press
Related Stories
Business
What next for Ulster Unionist Party after turbulent week?
3 hours ago
Business
Is this the end of Harry and Meghan’s American dream?
4 hours ago
Business
Cuba says US sanctions block efforts to open economy
5 hours ago
Business
Forestry giant behind idled B.C. mill received millions in government funding
5 hours ago
Business
Banks warm up to startup lending as new economy matures
6 hours ago
Business
IN PHOTOS | New U.S. tariffs a threat to these Canadian businesses
10 hours ago
Business
N.B. businesses await tariff talk outcome
14 hours ago
Business
Devoted Health is raising a new round of funding at a $25 billion valuation
14 hours ago