Russia charges Telegram founder with aiding terrorism, assisting Ukraine intelligence
Russia charges Telegram founder with aiding terrorism, assisting Ukraine intelligence
Now lives in Dubai, unclear if U.A.E. would extradite him
Russia's main domestic security agency said Wednesday that Pavel Durov, founder and owner of the messaging app Telegram, has been charged with aiding terrorism and put on an international wanted list.
The charges against Durov, who was born and began his career in Russia but later moved abroad, came as the Russian authorities restrict Telegram, one of the most popular messaging apps in the country. It is part of a long-term effort to bring the internet under the Kremlin's full control that has intensified since Moscow launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.
The Federal Security Service, also known as the FSB, accused Telegram's administration in a statement of failing to remove "numerous channels, chats and bots" that are "actively used by Ukrainian intelligence agencies, terrorist, and extremist organizations to prepare and co-ordinate acts of sabotage and terrorism, mass murder, and cyberfraud" in Russia, which resulted in "numerous human casualties."
The agency accused Ukrainian security services of using a popular dating chatbot on Telegram to lure and recruit Russians for "sabotage and terrorist activities," and said 46 users of the chatbot, from 12- to 22-years old, have been detained across Russia since July 2025 for assaulting law enforcement officers, arson and other acts.
Durov earlier this year announced that the Russian authorities opened a criminal investigation against him and accused them of fabricating pretexts to restrict access to Telegram as part of an attempt to "suppress the right to privacy and free speech."
If convicted, the entrepreneur could face up to life in prison in Russia.
Telegram, which boasts of more than 1 billion users worldwide, did not respond to a request for comment. Its official website links to an account on X that on Wednesday posted am image of Durov raising a middle finger to the camera.
Telegram's website says that the company is based in Dubai and that Durov, who holds dual citizenship of France and the United Arab Emirates, lives there, too.
As Russia launches criminal probe against Telegram CEO, the app's critics come to its defence
The Kremlin has been throttling the internet and blaming security threats. Many Russians aren't buying it
Under President Vladimir Putin, Russian authorities have engaged in multipronged efforts to rein in the internet. They have adopted restrictive laws and banned websites and platforms that don't comply and focused on improving technology to monitor and manipulate online traffic.
Multiple popular social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram and X, have been banned in Russia. YouTube has been throttled, with messaging apps Signal and Viber blocked and WhatsApp and Telegram restricted.
Russia's popular Facebook-like social media platform VK, founded by Durov long before he launched Telegram, had come under the control of Kremlin-friendly companies. Russia tried to block Telegram between 2018-20 but failed.
While it's still possible to circumvent some of the restrictions by using virtual private network services, many of them are routinely blocked, too.
Who is Pavel Durov, and why is his French arrest so significant?
Russia and U.S. amplifying Alberta separatist narratives to stoke division, distrust: report
At the same time, Russia actively promotes the "national" messaging app known as Max, which critics say could be used for surveillance. The platform is touted by developers and officials as a one-stop shop for messaging, online government services, making payments and more. It openly declares it will share user data with authorities upon request, and experts also say it doesn't use end-to-end encryption.
Durov has faced criminal investigations elsewhere. In 2024, he was arrested in Paris over allegations that his platform was being used for illicit activity, including drug trafficking and the distribution of child sexual abuse images. Durov said in March 2025 that he returned to Dubai after spending "several months" in France.
The Kremlin at the time criticized the French authorities for their move against Durov as "selective."
"I know that many countries have raised concerns about the platform being used in certain ways by certain individuals and entities whose activities could harm the economy or security of certain countries. I think the Russian government might also have had some questions," Putin said in September 2024, after Durov's arrest.
"But all platforms of this kind are guilty of this. If this is what they're doing to Durov, then others should probably be arrested," the Russian leader said, adding that the French government's "actions are not entirely clear to me, as they are selective."
Related Stories
Technology
Second US port to explore nuclear maritime technologies
1 hour ago
Technology
Abu Dhabi DoE expands tech partnerships during US visit
7 hours ago
Technology
MIT Indias IRS 2026 Brings 100+ Startups and 100+ Student Teams Together, Advancing Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Industry
9 hours ago
Technology
Liverpool, Telangana explore strategic partnership in life sciences, tech, sports | World News
11 hours ago
Technology
Crowdstrike, T
11 hours ago
Technology
Could these alternative homes be the future in a hotter Britain?
12 hours ago
Technology
Cyprus Business Now: shipping forum, fuel prices, GSI, travelling, startups, CSE
13 hours ago
Technology
The Internet is starting to card everyone. These startups are making millions from it
16 hours ago