Netflix sued over missing copy of unreleased Nicolas Cage movie
Netflix sued over missing copy of unreleased Nicolas Cage movie
Streaming giant Netflix is facing a lawsuit after it allegedly lost a copy of the unreleased spy thriller film “Fortitude” starring Nicolas Cage.
Producer-writer Simon Afram filed a complaint against the streaming company in California on Thursday, July 30, as per reports from multiple foreign outlets.
In the lawsuit, Afram said Netflix showed interest in the film after receiving promotional materials back in December 2025. In June, the producer said the streaming company asked for a working cut, prompting one of the movie’s associate producers to hand-deliver an unencrypted drive containing the movie to Netflix’s office. Afram noted that the associate producer instructed the Netflix staff to delete the files after screening the film.
Afram claimed that they attempted to pick up the drive several times but that the streaming company was unresponsive. More than a week later, Afram said they received an email from Netflix informing them that the drive had been stolen.
Afram is seeking at least $105 million in damages, as he claimed that the missing drive forced the makers of the film to pause efforts to secure buyers.
“By losing control of the Film, Netflix destroyed that exclusivity and materially, if not completely, impaired the Film’s marketability,” a part of the complaint said, as per Los Angeles Times. “It is not fathomable that a sophisticated buyer would invest tens of millions of dollars to acquire the Film—and tens of millions more to market it—while facing the constant risk that it could appear online to be viewed widely for free at any time.”
Netflix, in response, said it is already conducting an investigation into the matter. The company added that it is choosing not to disclose details on the investigation, accusing Afram’s law firm of “hostile attempt to extort money.”
“Netflix disputes any claim that it bears the risk of loss for a film delivered without the proper industry-standard safeguards,” the streaming giant said in a statement. “While we do not own the rights to ‘Fortitude,’ we take content security seriously and have taken extra measures to support the filmmaker and his team.” /ra
Related Stories
Entertainment
Netflix doubles down on South Indian cinema with weekly film premieres
32 minutes ago
Entertainment
‘Terrible’ Chinese animated film gets surprise box
32 minutes ago
Entertainment
Intimate New Art
6 hours ago
Entertainment
14 Black-owned media companies that are taking over entertainment one film (or TV series) at a time
11 hours ago
Entertainment
'This star is for Africa'
16 hours ago
Entertainment
What's new to streaming this week? (Aug. 21, 2026)
20 hours ago
Entertainment
Tradition Now: SIRENS | NCH | Live Music & Events
20 hours ago
Entertainment
Aditi Shankar garners praise for thoughts on cinema and viewing culture; Here's what she said
21 hours ago