Friday, 21 August 2026 PDT | 06:15 PM
The 1 News Alt Logo Text Smart News for Global Indians

Here's the latest on northwestern Ontario's forest fires: Thursday, July 23

Canada July 23, 2026 05:33 PM
Here's the latest on northwestern Ontario's forest fires: Thursday, July 23

Here's the latest on northwestern Ontario's forest fires: Thursday, July 23

There are 145 active wildfires burning across the region

There are 145 active wildfires burning in northwestern Ontario, according to the latest update from Ontario Forest Fires, one fewer than reported on Tuesday night.

Of these, 41 are listed as not under control, five are being held, nine are under control and the rest are being observed.

Evacuation orders or alerts remain in effect for areas near the following fires:

The largest wildfire in the region, known as Thunder Bay 36, remains out of control and spans more than 318,000 hectares.

The Ministry of Natural Resources’ says the Thunder Bay – Ignace District has invoked an Implementation Order for areas near Dryden 36, and is for the purposes of public safety and fire suppression.

An Implementation Order allows the ministry to issue formal, legally binding orders that restrict activities and manage access inside emergency boundaries.

"FireRanger crews, helicopters and heavy equipment operators are assigned to suppression efforts," Ontario's Aviation, Forest Fires and Emergency Services (AFFES) said in Tuesday evening's update.

"Recent precipitation over the last several days has helped to reduce fire behaviour, allowing for crews to make good progress on the fire line."

Forest fire danger ratings are mostly low or moderate across the northwest, but there are a few pockets of high hazard in the Fort Frances, Kenora, Red Lake and Sioux Lookout fire management areas.

"Although the northwest region has received large amounts of precipitation over the past several days, the fire hazard is starting to rebound," Ontario Forest Fires said in a Facebook post on Wednesday.

"The potential for holdover lightning fires remains a concern. The public is advised to exercise extreme caution and to please stay clear of active fires, as FireRangers and aerial suppression crews continue their work."

Ontario Forest Fires said infrared scanning aircraft have also been flying overnight into the early morning, scanning active fires for hotspots.

In an earlier Facebook post, the ministry said "identifying hotspots helps crews begin the mop-up process and confirms when a fire can be safely declared out."

There were 12 new fires confirmed in the region by Tuesday evening:

According to the province's interactive highway map, the closure of Highway 527 at Kiashke Zaaging Anishinaabek — Gull Bay First Nation — has been extended to the Highway 811 junction.

Highway 811 is also closed due to ongoing wildfire activity, with the exception of local traffic evacuating the area.

The First Nation remains under a mandatory evacuation order after lightning brought the total number of wildfires surrounding the community to six, according to a release issued by the community early Tuesday morning.

In an update issued Monday evening, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) North West Region said:

"The OPP is currently assisting the MNR with an evacuation order of Gull Bay First Nation, which was previously under a self-evacuation. Individuals living in areas under mandatory evacuation orders have been asked to leave their residence immediately and seek safety away from active fires."

The police said other communities are being monitored and residents are urged to stay informed and be prepared to act quickly should further evacuation orders or advisories be issued.

"Additional information will be issued as it becomes available," the OPP said.

The OPP strongly urged people for their safety and the safety of emergency responders to:

2 new fires reported in the northeast

Two new fires were reported in northeastern Ontario on Wednesday:

As of Wednesday evening, there were 41 active wildfires in the northeast region. Of these, four are not under control, one is being held, three are under control, and the rest are being observed.

Forest fire danger ratings are low to moderate across the northeast, with a pocket of high hazard in the Greater Sudbury area.

There are now more than 2,800 wildfire evacuees from more than a dozen communities across the province, according to an update issued by Ontario's Minister of Emergency Preparedness and Response, Jill Dunlop, late Wednesday afternoon.

They are staying in eight official host communities.

There have been four Ontario Corps partners and 17 Ontario Corps volunteers deployed to assist. As well, the province says the following equipment/supplies have been provided:

As part of these efforts, Feed Ontario and the Ontario Federation of Indigenous Friendship Centres are shipping and distributing food to evacuees. GlobalMedic has also delivered essential supplies to the evacuation reception centre at the Fort William Gardens Arena in Thunder Bay.

Thunder Bay transitions to 'enhanced monitoring'

The City of Thunder Bay is transitioning from active emergency co-ordination to enhanced monitoring, "as wildfire conditions across northwestern Ontario remain serious but stable ... and no new evacuations are anticipated at this time , " the city said in an update late Wednesday afternoon.

That said, the city reminds residents that wildfires remain active across the region and several communities remain under evacuation orders or alerts.

"The city stands ready to assist, should additional support be required."

How to reduce wildfire risk and the likelihood of property damage in Thunder Bay, Ont.

Residents are encouraged to take steps to reduce wildfire risk around their homes and properties by following FireSmart principles, including:

More information about FireSmart practices is available at www.firesmartcanada.ca.